Hey everyone,
I noticed that TIME magazine asked several fathers to write
an open letter to their children and it seemed like a nice idea. Plus, it’s a good way to remind you all to
call me on Father’s Day . My
dad, who I think you all have good memories of, was a great dad. But he wasn’t perfect and I wouldn’t have
wanted him to be. Actually, I don’t
think that being perfect is even a good goal for a person because there are so
many varieties and personalities that no one would even know what perfect
meant. I think it’s better to think that
we are perfect, by just being the way we are.
And so I think of each of you as perfect in your own way and I love each
of you just the way you are.
In you, I see part of me. I see you going through the phases
of life that I went through but you are doing it, I think, much better. And you are doing it in a time that in many
ways is more conducive to happiness and well-being because our culture has
advanced to be more accepting of people and differences.
Christianne, you are doing a great job as a mom and are
emulating many of the things your mom did with you kids. I love that. Julie, you are showing everyone what a
wonderful mom, wife and person you are.
I’m so glad to see your many successes in your family and career. Ruthanne, I can’t believe how much you have
helped your family, me and so many people you know with great ideas for saving
money and making life good. I’m so proud
of you. Karie, I’ve always admired your
entrepreneurial attitude and you’ve shown how that can bring success. Now I’m excited to see what great things you
will accomplish in your new adventures with Jake. Susie, your interest in daring to do things
that other people might not is admirable.
Your world-wide adventures encourage everyone to dream big. McKay, we
all know you’re amazing in how you are able to apply yourself to whatever you
are choosing to do at the time. That’s a
characteristic that will serve you will throughout your life no matter what
goals or challenges you face.
Life is shorter than you think and there are more wonderful
things out there than you may realize. That’s why you should make the most of
it and seek to live, at least occasionally, outside of your comfort zone. Don’t let fear keep you from considering new
experiences, ideas, or learnings. It’s
never too early to make a “bucket list” of things you want to do or try before
your life, your youth, the decade, or year is over. Life is full of wonders and strange and
wonderful people and places. Make new
and different kinds of friends as you go through life because friends give
spice and variety to our days and cause us to think and try things we might not
otherwise attempt.
That’s the best advice I can give you. At this point, I’m learning more from each of
you than you are from me. That’s how
incredible you are!
Again, don’t forget to call me on Father’s Day!
All my love,
Dad